Friday 6 May 2011

We Are Your Church

Oops, I didn't mean to leave it that long since the last blog! A lot has happened in the past three weeks – the biggest thing for me being the death of David Wilkerson. Wilkerson hugely inspired my walk with Jesus in my early 20s. His sermon 'A call to anguish' absolutely blows me away every time I listen to it - and I've listened to it a lot! His passion for Christ, the Church and the lost is something that I desire to emulate in my life. I would have loved to have met him. Guess I'll have to wait 'til glory now. What a man.

Dave Bish has been challenging me for a while to write a song with something of the jealousy of God in it and His passion for the church. That coupled with the test of trying to write something from Ephesians 5 has produced the song I'm posting here right now. It's kind of an Ephesians 5 / Hosea 1 & 2 song really, with a hint of Romans 7.

I tried it out last night at our Church Together prayer & family news meeting. I thought it went pretty well, although I've ended up changing a few bits melodically since then and recorded it quickly this afternoon. It's just guitar and vocal but you'll get the idea. I felt it was great to be able to praise God collectively as His future Bride. By the way that's my beautiful bride in the picture - thought it would help with the 'Bride' imagery. ;-)

It's the last bit of recording I'll get to do for a while probably. We've got our 2nd baby arriving on Monday via C-Section and I'll have my hands full for a few weeks!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the song. If you want to use it – go ahead and I hope it serves you well!
Once we were not Your people,
We shunned Your love and turned the other way.
Adulterers with our idols,
Content to live in squalor and disgrace.

V2
But You who are love and mercy
- No sea can quench Your jealous, raging flame -
Have given Yourself to redeem us,
Your death has brought us back to You again.

Pc1
Now we shall be Your spotless Bride;
You washed us with Your blood.

C
We are Your Church, O God,
Forever You will be our glory,
We adore You
For You have rescued us,
Your faithfulness has bound us to You,
Now we love You, Jesus.

V3
What idol could bring us freedom?
They offer nothing more than sin and death.
The cross of Christ is our ransom
And frees us to His love and righteousness.

Pc2
The death we died in Christ
Has bound us fully to His life.

Br
The Spirit and the Bride say 'Come to us, won't You come to us?'
The Spirit and the Bride say 'Come, Lord Jesus!'
The Spirit and the Bride say 'Come to us, won't You come to us?'
The Spirit and the Bride say 'Come, Lord Jesus! Come, Lord Jesus!
Come, Lord Jesus! Come, Lord Jesus!'


4 comments:

  1. Well done Matt!

    Hope the baby arrived safely today.

    Will I see you at Westpoint this year?

    P.S. Check out www.butgod.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. Took me ages to find you again. What on earth happened to your old website?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy, unfortunately the last website went pear-shaped somewhere - it was to do with domain name and other bits and pieces. Will definitely check out www.butgod.co.uk and have a thorough listen! What's the response so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been positive mate, but difficult without distribution to get the word out. Drop me an email with your address and I'll post you a complimentary copy. chris [at] butgod [dot] co [dot] uk

    ReplyDelete